Thursday 12 January 2012

Ticket to Ride: Legendary Asia

3ish. Ticket to Ride: Legendary Asia (from Ticket to Ride Map Pack 1)

This is 3ish because, for the purposes of The List (The List The List The List) it doesn't count as a game on it's own as:

A) You cannot play it without using some components from Ticket to Ride or Ticket to Ride: Europe
2) I'm grouping all the Ticket to Ride games into 1 entry
iii) Because

Nevertheless, I did play it.

Ticket to Ride is a game I'll never tire of, primarily because my wife loves to play it. This may be because she almost always wins it. It may be because it's simple to play but still has enough variety and challenge to keep it interesting.

Its a game about buying train track routes to complete journeys between cities. Lay track or complete journeys to earn victory points. The player with the highest number of VP at the end of the game is the winner.

The game moves quickly because each turn you only get to do one thing:
A. Collect some train cards to allow you to claim track,
B. Claim some track by turning in the right number of train cards,
C. Collect some more journey cards to give yourself more routes to work towards.

You'll often hear gamers talking about gateway games. The games that got them into playing games, the games that they play with others to open their eyes to the variety that exists beyond the many different flavoured versions of Monopoly. For me Ticket to Ride is the gateway game that I would recommend to anyone.

I will talk more about it in the future but, for now, take my word for it and get a copy. If you want the map pack you'll need either the original Ticket to Ride or Ticket to Ride: Europe as well.



1 comment:

  1. I came to ticket to ride quite late in terms of my gaming. like it a fair bit but found the quicker slightly more simple TransAmerica more fun.

    ReplyDelete